Tuesday, June 25, 2013

[DR] Dating Agency: Cyrano ~ Episodes 1-9 ★★★★☆


[Warning: SPOILERS AHEAD!] Watch the show at Dramafever!

     First of all, not an SNSD fan and from all the members I've seen in dramas, none of them possess an actual talent in acting. However, way back when, I saw Yuri and Sooyoung in Unstoppable Marriage with FT Island's Jaejin and I thought they were pretty funny. I think Sooyoung suits comedy and she's not doing such a bad job in this show. For the sake of this review, I will set aside as much of my bias as I can. Oh and did I mention, this is the 4th installment of the Oh! Boy series [besides this, I only watched Flower Boy Next Door], so yeah, it has a line-up of good-looking men.

     When I started this show, I suddenly remembered there was a movie version with Park Shin Hye and [since I love her] I decided to watch it. I liked the movie a lot and yes there are quite a few [actually several] scenes that are very similar in the show. Also the two main characters have the same names in both.  Anyways, I recommend watching the movie if you have time. I thought the show was pretty crazy, but the movie is quite fun too. [You can find it with full English subs on YouTube.]

     Now, onto the show. Let's just make it clear; this show really doesn't have surprises. You can practically predict everything long before it is revealed. However, that doesn't mean this show doesn't have its "Aha" moments cause it does. There's a different kind of excitement in waiting for things you know will happen to happen. Such moments include the scene where Chunhee [aka Master] finally shows his gangster side. It's kind of ironic how he always gets cool/tough guy roles when he's so different in real life [refer to Family Outing]. In this drama, he has a license for knives [which get blurred out just like in Heartless City].
     I mean, seriously, we obviously knew he was associated with those 2 gangpaes [gangsters] that always hang around him but yeah I was waiting for him to break into action. It was kind of sad when he did though cause Sooyoung [aka Minyoung] saw and he looked panicked. Why, you ask?! Cause he likes her, duh! And, in all honesty, I want her to end up with Master. If this show pulls through for me on that matter, it will definitely get an extra star when I rate it at the end.


     Now that I've covered Master-Minyoung's story, I'll move onto the other members of the agency. Let's start with our lead: Lee Jong Hyuk [aka Seo Byung Hun] whom I loved in Gentleman's Dignity. The show opens up with him as a really cool guy who really know's what he's doing. Either this guy is really passionate about what he does or he has a talent for hooking up people [or both]. Anyways, the charismatic Seo loses face pretty quickly and quite a few times. The first time we see his dashing armor crumble is on the roof where the 2 guys bully him [seems like he's in debt...no idea what it has to do with the Master yet]. And then he has some crazy [yet shockingly realistic] superstition theory about having bad luck every 431 [? - not sure about this number] days.

     Minyoung semi-confessed to Seo! Yes she did...Okay so she was snooping wandering around his room when she found the envelope from his old friend that the first love gave him. Normally when the envelope is unopened, you would leave it alone right but wait for it...I was talking to my computer screen going "Don't you dare! Don't do it! Why?" And yeah, she went and tried to open it. Did she succeed? No. Did she get caught? Yes. Ugh. @_@ So yeah he caught her and they got into an argument about her snoopiness. And she was all like "I don't know why I care if you still like your first love. I don't know why I was curious about the envelope"...so um yeah, she went a little crazy...[Things got pretty intense]
And he's all like "Do you like me?" And I'm all like "ruh-roh!"

     In the end, what a waste, it was just an invitation to his friend and first love's wedding. What's worse, Master witnessed the whole thing. He got worried for a second but the smile on his face was evident when she denied liking Seo. And what the hell was up with him in that drowning scene? Minyoung put her hand out to help and what does he do? Play rock, paper, scissors with her in the water! That was the most unexpected scene in this whole drama. And then yeah, the CPR: totally saw it coming from miles away [and can I just say she was doing it wrong-the chest pumping part]. For the first time, I really hate Taeyeon's OST [her voice sounds so weird in here]. Anyways, I was like, this would be the part where you pull her in for a real kiss [like in BBF]! But it ended right there and I was like "Nooooooooooooooo!!!!!"

actually, it might have been more like this:
"I refuse to believe that it ends there!...and what will she make him do, presuming she's won the bet."

     On the bright side, Seo is starting to soften up to Minyoung. And I've gotten used to calling her by the nickname he came up with: Gongi dol [idk how to spell it but it's something along the lines of 'Gong Stone']. And yeah, they've had a lot of heart-tugging moments so something's bound to happen right? Especially after that accident on the couch. The scene was kind of awkward but I'm glad it happened. And yes, the 'first love' walking in on that really added to the greatness of that scene. And actually, if Sooyoung ends up with Chunhee, I wouldn't mind Seo ending up with his first love. I'm kind of worried that the ending might be like the movie [in the movie, the ending was beyond satisfying but I don't want the same thing for the drama].

     I guess we should quickly cover the side characters, our two real flowerboys. Let's start with Moojin. He's the mysterious one-liner type. Doesn't talk much but you know they're going to add to his character, which they did. I don't think I really like this whole ordeal of giving these side characters a love story. I'm just not satisfied with the girl. Moojin's "interest" is the "cute-type" who happens to work in Chunhee's restaurant. So, obviously their parts aren't as interesting but lately, ever since Moojin's interest in the girl has become obvious, it's fun to watch him constantly checking the heart rate machine. He even tested it on Sooyoung.
Now, for Ahrang, my beloved from KPOP Extreme Survival [took me a while but I knew he looked familiar]...well he's another story. In short, he's the bubbliest of the bunch [not exceeding Sooyoung]. He's cute and very helpful. He was pushed into the main character slot for a while when Taemin [SHINee] made a cameo with his love story. Who would've thought that Ahrang would turn out to be the 3rd person in the love triangle? That's right, we did! [Cause this show is quite predictable, remember?] Well, we're bound to notice when they all of a sudden decide to show him going to school...which reminds me, how the hell do they manage to infiltrate every setting with Sooyoung. First they put her in high school and then in a kitchen. It's either good connections or pure luck. -_-


     I for one, during his story actually was rooting for Taemin all the way. For one, the poor guy was first okay. And I feel like Ahrang only started to like the girl as a result of her confessing to him. There are people like that, who are indifferent at first but start to take notice after something dramatic. I'm glad he had the chance to confess and let her go. I mean, how could that girl not have fallen for Taemin [aka Ray]? The scene where he grabbed her hand and they ran away from his fans was pretty epic. And I swear that scene in the alley called for a kiss...but oh well, they had their happy ending. On a side note, as cute as Taemin's love story was, the band-aid thing was a little gross. As for Ahrang, I hope he gets another story in the future episodes.

     And don't think I didn't notice but I have a hunch...that just maybe, Moojin and Ahrang can sense the love tension forming between their 2 colleagues. I wonder if they'll be the ones to hook them up later... O_O

     FYI, I love all the hidden cameras, gadgets and the puny car [which seems to change color every now and then]. Those hidden cameras really help in exposing everyone's true feelings -- such as the scene where Ahrang kissed Sekyung. And it was pretty funny when Seo wanted to use the hidden cameras to check up on Master and Minyoung. Another thing I really love is all these cameos [I can't believe they made our precious giraffe a masochist...actually, I can't believe that role suited him so well]. Ji Jin Hee, Taemin, and Gong Yoo really captured my heart...again.

     I really do wish such an agency existed in real life [wouldn't it be useful for us KPOP fans]. And all of the stalking in this show is completely normal, only cause everyone does it. ;) All in all, I'd give this drama 4 stars so far, cause if it's kept me interested for 9 episodes, then it has potential. I just hope it doesn't pull an Oohlala Couple Tragedy on me.

[credits to dramabeans, dramafever and shinee fans for the pictures]
*****************Feel free to share your opinions with me in the comments*****************

No comments:

Post a Comment